Picking Our Music: Conserving Music We Have Picked

When I go out to eat, sometimes I order an entree that is unusual. One time I ordered goat. The waiter laughed at me. I've had ostrich, alligator, and frog legs. I like to explore geography with my stomach as well as my feet. My wife read that most men order the same thing every time the go to a restaurant. I started asking around and indeed a lot of people order the same thing every time they return to a restaurant. It isn't just men either. People tell me that they don't want to take a risk of not liking something. Others say that if they know what they like, why mix it up.

As we listen to the radio, we know what style we like so we select the station. However, the DJ helps us out, he or she selects the particular songs. (Well, actually the program manager.) With the DJ mixing in new songs we get a little variety in with what we like. With the advent of such things like the i-pod, I wonder if people will stick to what they like and in this way loose the introduction of new songs their listening. If DJ's are taken out of the role of introducing new songs to a person, perhaps a database, much like Netflix and Amazon suggestions can do the same for music.

While I'm on the topic of music, if I've ever bought a vinyl, cassette, or 8-track of an album, shouldn't I be allowed to down load a legal copy from the record company. Perhaps I could get a certificate if I mail in the original media. I guess that would probably cost more than its worth. But still, did I buy the medium or the recording?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?