Getting Flat, Part 2 | Linux Journal

Last month I was impressed the first part of the article. I thought that I would not dovetail simply because I liked it the first time. This article though is as much about education as anything else. The article about the hierarchal system of education has been ported over to companies like Microsoft. In a sense I'm not sure that is a criticism as much as it is an observation. Few companies really want creativity, what they want is performance. That is defined by making the boss happy or something else besides true creativity.

I have been a part of non-traditional schooling for a long time. I basically started reading on my own which I really consider my education. Schools were just a place to supliment my supply of books and activities. My wife and I homeschool our children. I got my degree in a non-traditional fashion. Basically, I'm a non-traditional education product. I don't think that is bragging either because I think in reality, most people are. While some people may learn best in the classroom, most skills that people use on a daily basis are learned by doing them. I have heard it said by lawyers that you go to law school to get paper, but you only start to learn how practice law by joining a firm. Medical school places an extremely high value on learning by doing.


Getting Flat, Part 2 | Linux Journal: "A friend who worked at Microsoft once told me he could describe his employer in two words: more school. He explained that the company is built by and for academic achievers like the two guys who founded the company. I read recently that Microsoft's two founders, Paul Allen and Bill gates, had SAT scores of 1600 and 1590, respectively--back when scoring was much tougher than it is today. My friend noted that Microsoft executives 'can't go two paragraphs without using the word 'smart'.' He asked, 'Are there any other companies that want to know your SAT scores? Your GPA? Or that grade you on a curve?' He also said Microsoft was the first company to call its facility a 'campus'. Not sure if that's true, but it's plausible enough to make his point."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?