Joe Missionary: What Is A Missionary

Joe Missionary has some interesting thoughts on the definition of a missionary. In the end he says that both home and foreign missionaries are good. He emphasizes that we should not put missionaries up on pedestal. I like his post and agree, especially on the issue that we should not create layered system of a Christian, a saved-n-sanctified Christian, a wholly sanctified, ....., ta-dah; THE MISSIONARY! This is true, however, the mandate to "make disciples of all nations" must not become usurped by an over summarization of what he said. While there is no difference in the individual soul of someone overseas and someone on the home mission field, there a sense when God is especially glorified when His gospel is spread through out the world. He is especially glorified when His name is spoken by every tribe, tongue and nation. This is not a more important ministry, but it is obedience to the specific call and will of God as expressed in the scripture. It is like the glory given to God when one generation praises His name to another. It's that His glory transcends time, social barriers and geography.

Comments

Jungle Pop said…
Hey Terry, good post. I appreciate the balance you brought here. I was going to mention Acts 1:8, and how pastors use this to say the "Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth" shows how we can be missionaries in our home town or overseas, but I already thought my post long enough. I agree with you: I should not oversummarize. At this point in time, though, I feel that there's too much oversummarization the other way, so I don't mind sounding a bit extreme in that regard.

I, myself, do think it's cool that there will be people in heaven from every tribe, tongue and nation! What a day that will be.

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?