Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

I came across this site while surfing on Dave Barry's Blog. While Dave was looking at a humorous name to a cemetary, I found the site interesting for other reasons. In the line of some of my blog entries on Wikipedia and other open development of content, this site is a web application on graves that is maintained by anyone who would like to contribute. I am amazed at how many records are in this site. I have a great-great-grandmother buried in the Whitson cemetery in Laclede County Missouri. It is an off the beaten path, small, family cemetery. I was amazed to find this cemetery in the database. I intend to add her grave to their site. Looking at how many entries some people have made I see that their compulsion to add to the database is like that of blogging, I gotta do it everyday or I'm thinking about my next entry. I get the feel that people who contribute to the site seem to be interested in geneology. However, the person who set up the site likes to visit graves of famous people, like Lucille Ball or Carl Marx. He created the site he thought he needed to carry out his avocation. So there is more than one way to look at how to use the site; finding funny names, geneological research or star search.



Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records: "Find A Grave
"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?