Podcasting - As In iPod and Broadcast

The hot thing I'm reading in tech news these days is podcasting. Basically it is a mix of the words iPod and broadcast. Wikipedia has an artical on it already....

The term podcasting was coined by Dannie J. Gregoire [1] (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ipodder-dev/message/41) and made popular by former MTV VJ and Dutch weblogger Adam Curry and RSS pioneer Dave Winer to describe succinctly the technology used to push audio content from websites down to consumers of that content, who typically listen to it on their iPod (hence the "pod"), or another audio player that supports the MP3 format, at their convenience.


For the rest of of Wikipedia article click here.

I was talking to someone about this. They asked me if I was listening to this yet. In a sense no and in a sense yes. I listen to KenRadio and other audio content when I'm on my computer. But I don't have an iPod or MP3 player. That would make listening to Internet audio content practical for on the move. My Zire 71 has an audio output but I have not used it as an MP3 player. I just don't want to run with a moderately fragile piece of technology.

I see a lot of potential for bloggers to move into this type of medium. In fact, I'm thinking some of you who are reading this would make excellent postcasters. Its an area churches could do some interesting things on their websites too. I'm intriged and hopeful of new ministry oppritunities to emerge from this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?