Identity

In my recent posting using the poem template "Where I'm From" I started thinking about influences in my own life. Some people who did similar posts talked about pop culture as very important as a point of origin. As a teen I lived and worked on a farm, pop culture was not big in my life. In the 80's my wife and I did not have a television, the closest thing to pop culture was our pseudo pop culture of the Christian music. Pop culture images and content were NOT very important. Pop culture is a part of a shared experience for a lot of people. Shared experiences help define a person; playing in a band, playing a sport or attending a concert. I think the books we read define us as a person more than the movies we watch or the magazines we read. Music we listen to defines us, but often it is an outward sign of identity expressed to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?