Seven Times Jesus said “I AM”

 

Seven Times Jesus said “I AM”

A lesson by Terry Pruitt

When Moses asked the God of Abraham in Exodus 3:13 what his name was, he said “I am”.  He used a Hebrew word for “I Am” which is used as the name of God in the Old Testament.  The name in Hebrew is Yahweh or Jehovah or YHWH or יהוה. 

Bible Nerd Words:  In the Masoretic text of the Hebrew Old Testament there is instructions to not say Yahweh but to say the Hebrew word for LORD, Adonai.  Our English translations follow this tradition.  The ESV uses the all in CAPs word LORD when translating Yahweh.  In the Greek translation of the Old Testament, the Septuagint (LXX) translates this as a phrase “ἐγὼ εἰμί”.  This same phrase of “I am” (ἐγὼ εἰμί) is used in the Greek New Testament in the Gospel of John.  Jesus uses this phrase “I am” in a way to signify that he is the Second Person of the Trinity. 

Seven different times he says I am as a revelation of who he is as God.   In case you thought, he is just saying “I am” in a casual way, he is unambiguous in John 8:58. He says “I Am” in a way that is obvious to the religious leaders that he makes reference to himself as divine.  So they pick up stones to kill him.  “Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.”  (John 8:58,59 ESV)  The uses of the “I Am” is repeated over and over in order to weave a theme that looks at the identity of Jesus uses a number of metaphors.  The method of study is to look at the verse in the context of its immediate surrounding.  You will need to pull out your Bible if you are using a paper version or pull up your Bible if you are using a digital version on your phone or tablet.   Look at facts seen in the text.  What is the meaning for me? 

Bread 

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. (John 6:35 ESV)

Observe:

            What has happened in chapter John 6 involving bread?

            What season of the year did this happen? 

            How many times in John 6 is the phrase “I am the bread of life” used? 

            From where did the bread of life come? 

Meaning:

            The provision of a feast shows us what? 

How do we feast on Jesus?

What is the benefit of having the bread of life? 

 

            Light

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12 ESV)

Observe:

            Compare John 8:12 with John 1:4-10. 

            What does the light do? 

Meaning:

            How does one walk in the light?   

 

            Door

I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. (John 10:9 ESV)

Observe:

            In the context of John 10:1-10, what does the door do? 

            What is someone approaching God by a means other than Christ?    

Meaning:

            What should I do in order to enter by the door?   

 

            Good Shepherd

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. John 10:11-15

Observe:

            How is the Good Shepherd metaphor the same as the door metaphor?  

            How is the Good Shepherd metaphor different than the door metaphor?   

            What has the Good Shepherd done for you?

Meaning:

            How do I know the voice the Good Shepherd?

            How do I know the Good Shepherd? 

            What doctrines are taught by the metaphor of the Good Shepherd?     

 

            Resurrection and Life

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25, 26 ESV)

Observe:

            What is the context of Jesus saying he is the resurrection and the life?

            To whom is Jesus speaking regarding him being the resurrection and life?   

Meaning:

            What should I do in order to enter into Jesus being the resurrection and the life?

            What are the benefits of Jesus being the resurrection and the life?     

 

            Way, Truth, & Life

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6 ESV)

Observe:

            What is the context of Jesus saying that he is the way, the truth, and the life?

             What is about to happen in the life of Christ? 

            In both John 11:25 and 14:6 Jesus uses the word “life”.  Is there any difference between the two usages? 

Meaning:

            Philip asks about location, but Jesus does not give a location. Why?     

            Belief in Jesus allows me to do what?

 

    

            True Vine

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:1-5 ESV)

 

Observe:

            Who are the different parties in the metaphor of the true vine? 

 

What is the corresponding relationship in the real world? 

               

Meaning:

            How do I abide in the true vine?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?

Celtic Words In English

Bridging the Chasm