Pastor, what does your schedule look like?

When I was in high school I went to a Christian vocation conference at Bethel College in McKenzie, TN. It was a conference to get young people to come to the college, talk about their desires to go into the ministry and ultimately go to Bethel College. I had a good time and I ended up going to Bethel too. I had a question that I asked one of the leaders, "What does a pastor do all day?" Ultimately nobody answered the question. Perhaps other people don't have this problem, but I think they might. We had a lot of bi-vocational pastors in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in the denomination that I grew up. Since some of the men could work at a shoe store part time and still do a great job pastoring the church, the question was in everyone's mind, "What does that pastor down the street do who is only a pastor?" Though I read a lot on the ministry, have pastored a couple of churches as a student pastor, and am now going to seminary, I have had no one answer the question until now. What I saw from my pastor growing up is that he did two things, visited the sick and prepared his sermon. Pastor's at other church I have thought they spent some time counseling. I'm reading the book Planting Missional Churches: Planting a Church That's Biblically Sound and Reaching People in Culture by Ed Stetzer. He addresses this issue in a way that I think is helpful. He distinguishes between the bi-vocational pastor and those who do full time work in their ministry. He also says that a pastor should be thinking of working at least 50 hours per week since that is what his volunteer leaders do when they work a 40 hour week and then add ministry duties that equals 50-60 hours per week.






Schedule CategoryFull-TimeBi-vocational
Evangelistic Outreach153
Sermon and Study Preparation103
Administration102
Ministry(Visitation of Sick, Counseling)15 3



I found this helpful. Just thought I would share.

Comments

Milton Stanley said…
Looks about right to me, although in practice I would probably switch the two 15s with the two 10s.
Pathfinder said…
Interesting! Although the clergy actually do a lot more than that. See "How come a pastor only has to
work one day a week?" at http://www.victorious.org/chur32.htm. I'm a pastor working part time. If I could get down to working 50 hours a week I think that would be good for my health.

Popular posts from this blog

My Own Freewill Journey

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?

Defining Emergent and Emerging