What is the Bible for?

“Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 1:13 (ESV)
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,” 2 Timothy 3:16 (ESV)
Q. 3 What do the scriptures principally teach?
A. The Scriptures principally teach what a man is to believe concerning God, and what duty God requires of man.

The Scripture is both intellectually cohesive in its teaching and practical in its application. I have been a part of churches that fled every doctrinal debate in favor of practical application but I have been in few churches that over emphasize the doctrine above application. However I have met some individuals who over emphasize the doctrine to the exclusion of its application. I think that is because America embraces a philosophy that is anti-intellectual.
On the other hand, while not common in my circles today, I have heard of people us the Bible as a charm, as a code book, as a diet book, and as a status symbol. None of these are the purpose of the Bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?