Joe Missionary: Theology Thursday: Big Fat Sinning Slobs

As America is gaining weight as a total society Joe Missionary has some personal reflections and spiritual insights which are helpful. I struggle with weight control myself and find his commentary helpful. You can't read the whole enchilada here so follow the links.





Joe Missionary: Theology Thursday: Big Fat Sinning Slobs: "Theology Thursday: Big Fat Sinning Slobs

I find it interesting that there seems to be a hierarchy of sins. I think it's natural. In fact, while acknowledging that a sin is a sin in the sight of God, I would suggest that there are two classes of sins; those that affect other people directly and those that affect the sinner directly. Those that affect others directly, such as murder, adultery and the like, tend to be thought of as 'bigger' sins than the self-impacting sins of pride, covetousness, etc.

One sin in the latter category that, in my opinion, most Christians don't even want to discuss is the sin of gluttony. The American Heritage Dictionary defines gluttony as 'Excess in eating or drinking.'"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have no doubt that a lot of Americans are gluttons, but I think much of our national problem with obesity is partly a problem we have with another area of our lives, which I would also call sin: working too hard. We don't get any exercise, and we're too tired to cook a well-balanced meal for ourselves, so we zip through the drive-through at McDonald's on our way home from work. That happened to me several years ago. No time to get any exercise, plus a bit of overindulgence at the dinner table a couple of times a week, and before I knew it, I had gained a LOT of weight. Was I a glutton? No. (At least, I don't think so.) Did I look like one? Probably. Was a big part of it my failure to exercise and balance my lifestyle? Yup. I think a lot of Americans are in that same boat -- at least ones I talk to and hang out with. But yeah, overall, we do have a big problem with gluttony in this country. I'm astounded at the portions restaurants are serving these days. Nice blog -- keep up the good work!
-- "Theophilus" --
http://theophilus.typepad.com
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thanks for your comments. I hope you come back. I saw your blog post on the AFI 100 lines. I had a couple of movies I quote, but Gone With The Wind is not one I quote often.
I thought they had too many from the same movies over and over again. Then again, I seem to quote the same movies over and over.

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?