ESV Bible Blog » Blog Archive » Ask the Translators #1 Answers Contest

It is interesting to me that Adrian Warnock has gotten this going. I encourage you to go over and check it out. I wish I had thought of it.




ESV Bible Blog » Blog Archive » Ask the Translators #1 Answers Contest: "For the next seventeen weekdays (starting tomorrow, June 15, 2005), we’ll be featuring answers to the questions asked by blogger Adrian Warnock of the ESV translators. Most answers feature a video of a member of the Translation Oversight Committee answering the question, as well as a transcript of the answer. The answers will also appear on Adrian’s site along with his commentary.

We have seventeen answers for ten questions because some questions have multiple parts, and in other cases different TOC members address the questions a little differently.

We won’t be taking comments on our posts, but we do want to encourage discussion of the answers. Therefore, if you leave a comment or trackback on one (or more) of Adrian’s posts that discusses the answers, you’ll be eligible to win any ESV Bible published by Crossway that has a list price of US$99.99 or less."

Comments

The so-called rev is a little off topic. He has some views opposed to my own on how the Bible has commands that make it out of date (or perhaps evil).

His post which I will keep unless it goes totally wild is sort of a rant, but some well selected verses to show the how scripture is not, in his opinion, applicable today.

He focuses on Old Testament passages where the Lord commands people to kill, either as punishment for sin/crime or in war.

Of course taking my view, that scripture is inspired by God and is His Word, I'm am judged by it. I do not transcend the Bible but it transcends me. It points out my sin and I must respond to the accusation.

He talks about cutting passages out of scripture. I don't think this is based on any respect for the text but a disdain for scripture. My questions is, if you disdain scripture, why cut any thing out of it? If scripture is distasteful, why pick and choose. I do not feel compelled to edit Plato, Homer, or any other ancient writer for content sake. (Perhaps for brevity or clarity sake I would.)

This brings me to a topic I have thought about for some time. It amazes me that many churches which do not hold any authority in the Bible would use it in their worship.

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?