Obama: Muslim or Christian


Not long ago I started seeing blogs with political cartoons that suggest that Barak Obama is Muslim. I would think this would be discussed in the mainstream media as well in the blogosphere so it bore checking out. According to the The Caucus, a NY Times political blog, Obama is a Christian and attends Trinity United Church of Christ, 400 West 95th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60628. Their worship center is the photo above.

I'm not saying that Obama and I would agree on everything doctrinally, but if he claims the name of Christ, I will take him at his word that he is a Christian. Then dialog starts with agreement that Christ is God incarnate, that God is three in one, that sin is our most fundamental problem and the atoning sacrifice of Christ is the solution. It seems less than generous to label Obama a Muslim because his father was a Muslim. It appears to be a ploy to discourage voter enthusiasm for Obama given that Islam is not the mainstream religion. Perhaps those making this claim are latching onto the fact that Obama's father was Muslim and then later became an atheist. Obama as far as I can tell claims the name of Christ.

Unlike other countries of the world, the US has no religious identity recorded by the federal government as an official status. Religion is not built into our political system but it is a component of our social fabric. Many take this to mean that ecumenical agreement is the religion of the US, which of course is still simply choosing one religion over another. The rules of how various religions participate in the social fabric are changing with the rub of new situations, new religious ideas, and new doctrines. The concept of the dominate religion of the culture is hotly debated in civic tones. The key concept in this debate for many secular thinkers is that there is no dominate religion, we have freedom of religion in the US. And for many, this has changed from freedom of religion to being free from religion even in the expression of others. In essence this becomes a religious idea in and of itself. Many of my fellow Christians feel that Christianity is the dominate religion of the US but others are free to practice their own religion too. I would see both ideas as flawed because Christ says that His kingdom is not of this world. He transcends earthly, human government. While some Islamic thinkers do have the goal of gaining a political position for Islam, to be fair some Muslims are closer to deists in their thought. So, Islamic thinkers have a similar spectrum of thinkers as does mainstream America, some seeking religious domination while others seek broad agreement. As Christians, since Christ Kingdom is not of this world, how do we vote for people with different religious views? I think we can all pray for national leaders regardless of religious affiliation, but how do we vote? Should I vote for someone as an olive branch to heal racial strife in the land? (I do see race relations as an important moral issue, but should I vote that way? I have an African-American friend who will probably vote for Obama because they are from the same "community".) I think as Christians we often need to practice the same types of service as Daniel who refused to engage in false worship, served a dominate government which oppressed his people the Jews, and was faithful to seek God above all else. I still don't think this tells me how to vote, but the goal is not to dominate the culture. Participate in the political process? YES. But should I vote for someone who may choose to put the church of Jesus Christ in a lesser position in society? Should I vote to be dominated? It is one issue among many that has to be weighed in choosing a candidate.

Comments

lazytigerz said…
Do you remember your childhood? Do you remember the songs of your Sunday School? Do things you were taught and thoughts of your past guide you in your everyday life?
Barack Hussein Obama was raised MUSLIM. His father, Muslim. His stepfather, RADICAL MUSLIM. Christianity is a political necessity for what he wants to accomplish. They have said,"We will take your country without firing a shot". What better vantage point than the White House?
We have been programmed to ACCEPT. To FORGIVE. But we have also been forewarned and should be ever vigilant. There are many that can run our country that are 100% true blue Americans. Why would we take the chance of putting our country in the hands of 'possible' danger. No, we don't know for sure. But am I willing to let the Muslims gain a foothold in the White House? ADAMANTLY....NO!!!! HIS NAME ALONE SAYS IT ALL.
Denisa Russell said…
And let me guess you are a right wing wacky like the rest of them trying to spread lies about Obama. Join the crowd. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that he is a christian and leave it at that? What does he have to do for you people to believe that he is a christ loving being?
How is that any different than Bush's past indiscretions all the drinking and drugs and so many odd years later claiming to be a reborn christian. I'd say that also smells like a plot to guarantee him his way to the Wwhite House. Wouldn't you agree?
Whoa, I'm a little taken off balance with your comments. Let me clarify, if you read my blog you will see I'm a moderate, probably a little right of center. I will be voting in the Republican primary, not what I think you assumed.

I'm not "forgiving" or "accepting" anything Barack Hussein Obama has done. He has done nothing to my understanding that needs to be forgiven. He is an American with heritage from Kenya, but also from European ancestry too. I usually simply call that American. If he prefers African-American, so be it.

His name means Barack is Swahili for blessing. But this is the same name that comes from the Hebrew word for blessing. How can we feel that it is a threat to name a child blessing? Hussein is also a fine name, meaning handsome or good.

I don't fancy those who see association as the main issue in an election, whether they be liberal or conservative. Let's talk issues here, not deride someone for their heritage.

Obama claims the name of Christ and is a member of a church.

Obama is an American, true blue.

He is probably not who I am going to vote for.
David said…
Just a thing or two....

First, has Barack Obama PUBLICLY stated that Jesus Christ is his Lord and Savior?

Remember the Scriptures: Even Satan and demons "believe" in Christ, and so do many heathens in this world.

The question isn't whether Obama believes, the question is will he publicly state that Jesus is his Lord?

He, we, anyone, can say we "believe" in Christ, but that is meaningless. I would expect a profession of faith that He is Lord and Savior, nothing less.
David,

Yes, anyone can claim the name of Christ. I'm not saying I infallibly know Obama's heart. I'm saying that I'm applying the same rules to him as I do to everyone else. If someone claims the name of Christ, I take them at their word until something shows reason to doubt.

I simply see a lot of the things being said about Obama as unfair tactics that play to a certain crowd. In public discourse in general, they don't hold water.
David

I see I did not answer the question directly if Obama has publicly claimed the name of Christ. I have covered that in another post.

Click

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?