Stale Code

I noticed on a co-worker's desk some quotes she had written out by hand about the movie The Da Vinci Code. One was from Tom Hanks who said, "We always knew there would be a segment of society that would not want this movie to be shown. But the story we tell is loaded with all sorts of hooey and fun kind of scavenger-hunt-type nonsense.” I thought about linking to some of the sources showing this quote but if you search for it, it is all over the Internet. I think use of the word 'hooey' was very calculating on Tom Hanks' part. He knows he has that nice guy image, but 'dog-gone-it' he has got to show the world that he has got, well, gumption and backbone. He will use the word 'hooey' with vigor and conviction.

So my co-worker and I got into this discussion about how she had read The Da Vinci Code. She made a comment that I have not heard anyone else make, perhaps others have and I just have not been listening. She and he husband are now devoted Catholics but the monologues in the book sounded a lot like the kinds of things she hear when she was involved with Wicca. Particularly, she felt how the role of women in worship was handled sounded like Wicca.

I'm not trying to say that Dan Brown is particularly evil because something he said sounds vaguely familiar to a former Wicca dabbler. False doctrine is dangerous to regardless of labels are attached to it. What was of interest to me, is that his message is not original, but somewhat stale, at least to this co-worker of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?