Parableman: Design, as long as it's not intelligent

I encourage you to slip on over to Parableman to read his interesting and thought provoking post on the intelligent design debate. It is a topic I find interesting and needing to be discussed.



Parableman: Design, as long as it's not intelligent: "Design, as long as it's not intelligent

I've returned from a research conference and another meeting, but I'll be traveling again next week.

I keep hearing talks at conferences that I find rather amazing. For example, in the areas of systems biology and biological networks, I've heard several talks about how these systems are 'designed'. Sometimes (as in the talk I just heard) speakers will go beyond saying that the systems 'appear designed', and state that the evidence shows that they are designed. This seems scientifically well-received as long as the speakers avoid suggesting that there was actually an intelligent designer who did the designing (and perhaps instead suggest that natural selection was the designer). I find it remarkable that it is scientifically accepted to talk about design in biological systems, as long the designer is left out of the picture or assumed to be unintelligent. But many scientists vehemently oppose any suggestion of an intelligent designer. Follow the link ...."

Comments

Jeremy Pierce said…
It's Abednego's post, actually.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I did not catch it on my own.
Kristofer said…
Interesting, I haven't thought about that. I work with gene networks and it's true that people use the word designed. But I mostly think it's in an evolutionary context, that evolution has designed the function.

Kristofer
Believers' wear
Kristofer,

As someone who works in science, how do you reconcile the apparent age of the earth to Biblical account? From an exogesis stand point it is pretty clear. But reconciling that with other things seems difficult to me. (By the way I beleive in six literal days of creation but I just don't have all loose ends tied up.)

Terry

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?