180 on Buildings

I think I wrote a blog some time ago on my change of heart on church architecture. I followed the idea a few years back that the church was the people so buildings were unimportant. Meeting in schools, theaters and other commercial property was just fine in my mind. From experince, I now know that being in someone else's property taxes your volunteer force. It also affects the asthetics of the worship service.

They are putting up a new church building near my house. I don't know the denomination or even the name of the church. They are replacing a commerical metal frame with a wooden frame. I wonder if that is really all that much of an improvement asthetically and functionally.

The church I visited in Hawaii had a very plain sanctuary with a fantastic circular window behind the pulpit through which the congregation could see the beautiful landscape as the pastor exposited the Word of God.

What is the proper balance between artistic design and proper focus kept on the Word of God?

Who is the right person to design such a balanced building? Where are the Christian architects?

Can existing buildings really be adequately transformed? If so, how?

Normal functional areas of a church are
1. Worship Sanctuary
2. Sunday School Rooms
3. Food and Fellowship Areas
4. Recreation Areas
5. Office and Administration Areas


How much do you need of each? Is only the worship and Sunday School areas the only necessary areas?

Responses welcome!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Annalee might have told you this already, but one of the things that Faith has that GBEPC doesn't have are windows in the sancuary. It really makes a drastic improvement with those windows being there. I guess having some connection to nature/outside really helps the mood of the place.

Eric
Eric I agree that we need windows at GB. Since we are sort of stuck, I'm not sure of a real answer.

Rong, thanks for your comments. How do you think a school should be changed to give the right atmosphere?

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?