Saturday, March 28, 2009

Silly Games I Play In My Head

I grew up hopeful of the future. Some of this was positive, some negative. The good part of my future oriented attitude is that I am a visionary, seeing possibilities and trying to make them happen. The negative aspect of my future oriented disposition is that I miss the here and now, I live in a fantasy world of what is around the bend and the next corner. These may come into fruition, or they may simply be my optimistic take on situations that have little possibility of materializing. (Interestingly, we never live in the here and now since all sensory experience is slightly delayed due to light and sound delays. While practically, we do not think of it that way, we should be alert to the fact that we are constantly rubbing up against the issues of past, present and future thinking.) Focusing on the future makes grumpy when I don't get what I want. It was my hope. Reading recently in the Book of Hebrews I noticed a couple of facts that have made me rethink once again my future orientation.

“The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind,
‘You are a priest forever.’”
Hebrews 7:21 quoting Psalm 110:4 (ESV)

God has for us a hope for me, a future for me, one involving a perfect high priest Jesus. He is immutable. One of the things that makes the future appetizing to me is that there is change from my present state to a better one. Most often I am hoping in a better situation in this present life and not the life to come. My focus is on change while in the end, God's future of hope is built on consistency which exists when there is perfection. Priests in the Old Testament Levitical system had to be replaced since they died. So in a sense, I am looking for something better, but my heart is not set on the perfect one, Jesus. Since he died for me, he loves me with a love that will not cease, he is worthy of all my focus and devotion.

For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.
-- Hebrews 7:18, 19 (ESV)


Christ's priesthood is the bases of my better hope, it is my optimism that is true. My future orientation should focus primarily on that which is perfect and not on that which is temporal.

Post a Comment