My Relative the Pioneer, Doug Griffin

I used to feel that I was related to everyone in Laclede county. That is largely because of this patriarch of the family. His family moved from Illinois after the family suffered financial crisis after their barn burned. As I understand it, he was a dedicated Cumberland Presbyterian. He, in more than one sense, is why I am presbyterian.

Meet Anderson Douglas "Doug" Griffin.

Birth: Aug. 30, 1854
Scott County
Illinois, USA
Death: Jan. 25, 1933
Russ
Laclede County
Missouri, USA

STROKE IS FATAL
TO A. D. GRIFFIN
Funeral Services Held Today for
Pioneer of Laclede County
Anderson Douglas Griffin, a resident of Laclede County for 70 years, died at his home here at 12:30 o'clock Tuesday night as a result of a paralytic stroke he suffered two weeks ago. He was 78 years old.
Funeral services were held at 1 o'clock this afternoon at the White Oak Pond church, of which he had been a member for many years. The services were conducted by the Rev. J. A. Russell of Phillipsburg. Burial was in the cemetery there.
Acting as pallbearers were six grandsons, Harvey, Herschel, Harold and Ross Griffin, Qris O'Quinn and Earl Scott.
"Uncle Doug," as he was familiarly known, was born in Winchester, Illinois, and came to this county with his parents Mr. and Mrs. Richard Griffin, when he was a small boy. The family settled on Brush Creek, 10 miles south of Lebanon, and Mr. Griffin spent his life in that neighborhood until he retired from active farming 15 years ago and moved to Lebanon.
He is survived by his wife, five sons and three daughters. They are: A. A. , Homer, Elmer, Fred and Vester Griffin, Mrs. Charles Wagoner, Mrs. Maude Scott and Mrs. Alma O'Quinn all residing in Laclede County. Also surviving are 27 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren, and two brothers, John and Charles Griffin, residing near Lebanon.
Attending the funeral from a distance were Houston Brown and Mrs. Cora Bryan, both of Oklahoma City, Mr. and Mrs. John Massey of Percy, Iowa, and Mr. and Mrs. Jeff McWhirter, Mrs. Mary Fritts and Mrs. Remmer all of Aurora, Missouri.

Comments

Nan said…
I am the gr gr grandaughter of Anderson Douglas Griffin. He was married seversl times outliving his wives. my gr gr grandmother was Mary Anne Mc Whirter. They had Alpha Aaron Griffin my gr grandfather. He had Havey Anderson Griffin my grandfather who had Alice Marie griffin. They belong to White Oak Pond. My Grandfather James Edward Fike was a Pastor at White Oak Pond his son James married Alice who then had me Nancy Fike Hill of Texarkana Ar. Ed Fike had a daughter Olene Rush and son Charles Fike (a Pastor)Olene married Robert Rush who isnow the president of the cumberland Assoc.I was excited to see that you are in church planning. I am invoved in A Baptist church here in Texarkana. But I know that our ancestors would be proud of what we are doing today carring on the gospel
Nan, Good to hear from you. I have and often use a set of Bible Commentaries given to me by J.E. Fike. He gave a complete set of Adam Clarke Commentaries when I was studying for the ministry in my youth. He also allowed me to preach in his stead at some small country churches in Missouri. He talked to me about expository preaching, which I am a big fan of today. Brother Fike as we called him was an important man in my own life. I found him a great support in my call to the ministry.

I knew Harvey and Opal as a child. Opal would come over to my Grandma Beulah's house.

I also knew Charles Fike. His son Tim is a year or so older than me. It has been a number of years since I have seen him.

I think I rode to Camp or Presbytery with Robert and Olene Rush one time. They were kind to me.

I am glad to hear we are related and how you are doing.

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?