Art Form



I was listening to a writer talk about his craft. Writing is an art form, different than say painting or sculpture. Still yet, an art form. It made me start to think about the art of preaching. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean it in the same way that the artisans in the Old Testament who made the tabernacle and its furniture were filled with the Spirit to do their work. In a way, it seems to me that preaching has become technical, more science less art. Why is that? Some people go about their lives creating and others merely do thier work. I don't think the difference is in what is done, it is how it is done.

Preaching is all about life, beauty, and love. It still has to be true, true to the text and right. But those are not exclusive of the first set of attributes.

Comments

Milton Stanley said…
Amen, Terry. Good to see you writing about preaching! I also enjoyed your other recent articles, particularly the one about heirloom farming. Peace.

Popular posts from this blog

A lion, a rooster, a billy-goat and Tommy Franks go to a bar...

Celtic Words In English

Was the New Testament Letters Only Written to Male Brothers?